Land Rights and Responsibilities Protocols
We are publishing a series of protocols around the Scottish Government's Land Rights and Responsibilities Statement.
Setting out practical advice on how landowners, land managers and communities can work together to make better – and fairer – decisions about land use, the protocols are intended to be used by everyone to improve the transparency, accountability and governance of our land.
The protocols are:
- Community Engagement in Decisions Relating to Land
- Transparency of Ownership and Land Use Decision-Making
- Land Ownership by Charities
- Land Ownership by Private Trusts
- Diversification of Ownership and Tenure
- Negotiating Transfer of Land to Communities
- Good Stewardship of Land
- Common Good Land
Further protocols are planned for the future in line with our Strategic Plan 2020-23.
Webinar Series: Putting into Practice Land Rights and Responsibilities
Our Good Practice Team has hosted a four-part webinar series looking at our new Land Rights and Responsibilities protocols, to introduce the key messages and practical expectations of each. These webinars were recorded and are available for you to view below:
- Community Engagement and Transparency in Ownership and Land Use - Tuesday 21 July
- Land Ownership by Private Trusts/Charities - Tuesday 18 August
- Diversification of Ownership & Tenure and Negotiating Transfer of Land to Communities - Tuesday 25 August
- Good Stewardship of Land - Tuesday 1 September
We are always keen to hear about positive examples of good working relationships and welcome information about successful collaboration that can inform case studies to help others. Get in touch with our Good Practice Team to share your stories or to find out more on how you can improve your practices.